[WEB4LIB] Library "Splash" pages

Julia Schult jschult at elmira.edu
Fri Sep 15 10:50:58 EDT 2000

Trash the splash.  Splash pages are *so* annoying.  (I know, it may not be in your control.)

Seriously, I like what our campus has done with standardization (even if they didn't do it in the most tactful way at first).  We have a standard font, standard colors, and a standard College header which people use as the basis of their pages.  There are standard images people can use.  I chose to add an image of the college flower to the header on all the library pages, so hopefully people subliminally notice when they are on library pages as opposed to the rest of our site.

I'm not saying our site is a model overall, but I do think we've done some good things for consistency of our look and feel.

College home page: http://www.elmira.edu/
Library home page: http://www.elmira.edu/library/
Sample library subject link page: http://www.elmira.edu/library/web/education.html
Computing Services page (for comparison): http://www.elmira.edu/acs/index.htm