Catalog URL Linkchecking

Mary F. Popp popp at indiana.edu
Thu Sep 14 11:12:20 EDT 2000

Hi!
Indiana University will be implementing Sirsi Unicorn in January, and we
are investigating how best to check URLs in the new database.  We are a
multi-institution consortium, and many of our consituent libraries will be
sharing bibliographic records in Unicorn.

Does anyone have experience extracting and assigning URLs to a relevant
constituent library in this sort of situation, where bibliographic records
are being shared, particularly from Unicorn?

One of our campuses is using the InfoLink Link Checker 1.9 from BiggByte
Software, Inc., to check URLs extracted from their current web-based
catalog. Does anyone have any advice to offer us on the relative merits of
various other link checking softwares?

Ideally, we would like to find software that keeps track of potentially
temporary problems (e.g., a server being down) and only brings forward
clear-cut or chronic problems for human attention.

We appreciate any advice you can give us.

Mary
Mary Pagliero Popp, Library Information Technology Services
Indiana University Libraries, Library E456, Bloomington, IN 47405
(812) 855-8170    FAX: (812) 856-4979   popp at indiana.edu