Patron Internet Machines

D. Popeck dspp at operamail.com
Wed Sep 13 14:56:15 EDT 2000

>With public computers that have 32, 48, or 64mb, and range from
>Pentium 200s to P2-333s, we almost never have crashes, except for
>occasional patrons who lock them up with spawned pornsite windows.
>They're protected with WinSelect and DeepFreeze.  Staff who have frequent
>crashes in Netscape are encouraged to use IE...but some won't, and
>would rather whine to us.  Their problem, not mine.

We are using the Deep Freeze demo (along with Winselect's Ikiosk and Policy)
and I see no new problems, just the same old NN 4.08 bugs. We may add access
to IE again to see if it can decrease crashes. Has Microsoft put a print
preview into its browser? We encourage patrons to print preview and select
pages to pare down on paper use; I also added Notepad to the desktop for
patrons to use for pages that don't seem to print out correctly or those who
just wish to surf and print all in one document formatted to their liking.

D. Popeck
Madison Library