[WEB4LIB] Public Internet Computers

SARGEANT Brad bsargeant at ci.springfield.or.us
Wed Sep 13 12:00:00 EDT 2000

I have to second this. I have been using Deepfreeze on public Internet
machines for about a year and I would have to quit my job without it. All
those goofy chat applets and instant message junk are all gone with a
reboot.
The only other things I do are remove everything from the Start Menu, hide
the
contents of the C: Drive and remove Network Neighborhood from the desktop
using TweakUI.

Brad Sargeant
Springfield Public Library
Springfield, OR
541-726-2236

>>> Jeanne Heicher 09/13/00 06:13AM >>>
We use Deep Freeze, available very cheaply from Hypertec. The cost is
about $20 per computer. The effect is that no matter what the patron
does, all we have to do to restore the computer to its original
condition is to reboot. It doesn't matter what patrons do at the
station anymore, and this includes putting a virus on the machine-
just reboot, and it's gone again. They can run their own programs,
download things, delete all the files on the drive, and we just smile
and reboot. A good aspect of this is that patrons (and staff) can test
things out, and learn to use all of a computer's features without
worrying about the consequences. Deep Freeze can be disabled by staff
to make permanent changes to the hard disk. Sure made my life a lot
easier.
 Jeanne Heicher

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Newport Public Library                  Hours:
316 N. 4th St.  Newport PA 17074        Mon.   1 PM  - 8 PM
(717)567-6860  FAX (717)567-3373        Tues.  10 AM - 5 PM
                                        Wed.   1 PM  - 8 PM
nppublib at pa.net                         Thurs. 10 AM - 8 PM
http://www.pa.net/nppublib              Fri.   1 PM  - 5 PM
                                        Sat.   10 AM - 2 PM

Thank you for supporting your community library.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx