web server suggestions

George Fowler FowlerG at cts.db.erau.edu
Tue Sep 5 19:21:00 EDT 2000

     Hi.

     I have recently been tasked with looking into the purchase of our
     library's own web server.  I am not going to mention the types of
     servers that are currently used on campus so that I don't bias any of
     the responses.

     This is our situation:

     medium-size library with 16 librarians serving an on-campus population
     of 5000 students and an off-campus, around-the-world student body of
     15000 students.  We have several web-databases, use Endeavor's
     Voyager, and will soon be posting a lot of pdf files to the web.  We
     are looking into creating a web archive so will need plenty of space.

     I would like to know:

     What types of specifications I should be looking for?
     What are the recommended servers for my type of institution?
     What prices am I going to be looking at?
     Are there any sources (websites, books, people...) I can consult?

     Thank you, in advance, for your help.

     George Fowler
     Electronic Services Manager
     Hunt Memorial Library