[WEB4LIB] electronic citation guide

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Fri Sep 1 13:00:57 EDT 2000

> Hi
> I have maintained a basic guide to citing electronic resources for
> several years, and several hundred sites link to it. The original URL
was
> http://www.wilpaterson.edu/wpcpages/library/citing.htm and this is
what a
> lot of people link to.
> Several months ago our institution's servers were upgraded, which
> changed all of our URLs. http://www.wpunj.edu/library/citing.htm is
what
> this link should be. Thanks
> Kurt

After you slap your webmasters around for a while, feel free to quote
them (blowing my own horn)
<URL:http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Web4Lib/archive/0007/0255.html> and
(blowing Roy's horn, uh, so to speak)
<URL:http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Web4Lib/archive/0008/0375.html>.

I'll tell you from hard-won experience, people will be hitting your old
URL for years, and it's not exactly helpful to get the message --I'm
paraphrasing here-- "We rewrote all our URLs in the mistaken assumption
that our directory structure has something to do with navigating our web
site, and because we stripped out a directory name, you're screwed.
Here's the university-wide navigation bar, in case you care."

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu