Test Your Library Databases with New Virtual Reference Software

Steve Coffman coffmanfyi at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 1 09:26:50 EDT 2000

Good morning everyone,

There is been some talk on various list serves recently about the new
virtual reference software (aka collaborative browsing software, or web
contact
center software) and how well it works ... or in some cases, does not work
... with the subscription databases, catalogs and other sophisticated
resources typically found in libraries.

Here are the facts:   First off, not all collaborative browsing platforms
are created equal.  They range in sophistication from very basic programs
that allow you to chat and pass text links to your patrons, to programs like
LivePerson that allow you to chat and push static web pages that open up in
separate browser windows, to packages like Eshare, NetEffect, FaceTime and a
whole bunch of others that allow you to chat and push static web pages to
the patron within the same browser, to the most sophisticated packages like
the Virtual Reference Desk, Webline and a very few others that allow you to
chat and push static web pages, but also include features like 'escorting'
that syncs up the two browsers, and allows you to drive your patrons around
the Web, 2-way browsing that allows your patron to send you Web pages and
visa versa, and 'form synchronization' that allows you to show the patron
what you have entered in a search field or other Web form ... and visa
versa.

Now when it comes to collaborative browsing and library databases ... we
really only talking about these top of the line products with escorting and
form 'sync' capabilities to begin with ... because the best the more
rudimentary packages could do is send a static web page from the database
... you could not use them to walk a patron through a database search step
by step, or show them your actual search strategy in the search field.   Of
the few collaborative browsing platforms that have this full range of
capabilities ... most work well with many of our library databases and
catalogs and authentication schemes, right out of the box.  After almost 24
months evaluating this software, I happen to think that the Virtual
Reference Desk/eGain platform that LSSI has chosen probably works better
than anything else I have seen ... but then, I'm biased.

However, to be quite honest with you, there are some databases, catalogs and
authentication schemes out there that are too much for even the best of the
collaborative browsing programs as they currently exist.

LSSI and eGain are interested in making sure libraries have the best tools
possible for doing reference on the Web ... and that means collaborative
browsing software that works with as many of our catalogs and databases as
possible   But to do that, we are going to need your help.   We are
currently in beta with Interact! --- a new add-on to the Virtual Reference
Desk -- that appears to work effectively with almost every database and
catalog we have tested it on so far.  But we want to test it some more, so
... if you've been dying to find out how collaborative browsing and live
online reference might work with your library resources ... by all means,
drop me a note at this email address stevec at lssi.com and I will get in touch
with you to arrange a live online test session ... I am particularly
interested in reaching those of you who have many web-based subscription
databases so I can kill lots of birds with one stone.  If we can identify
the areas where there may be problems ... there  is a very good chance we
can configure the software to resolve them.  But I can't solve problems I
don't know about ... so I encourage you to get in touch with me and let's
try yours out.

Meanwhile, it is important to keep all of this in perspective ... what we
are talking about is a very small percentage of all of the content on the
Web ... collaborative browsing software works very well with the vast
majority of sites out there ... and in the half an hour or so it has taken
me to write this, Webhelp and other new commercial reference companies have
used the exact same software we are discussing here to provide live help to
many hundreds of customers flocking to their sites.  Many of those customers
would be ours .... if we were there to help them.   So while it is important
that we make sure our new tools work with as many of our resources as
possible, it is also true that our patrons would be happy for any assistance
we could provide them at this point, and if we are not there to provide it,
they are also happy to try one of our competitors.  Sometimes the best can
be the enemy of the good.

Look forward to hearing from you all.

SC

Steve Coffman