[WEB4LIB] Re: Patron Internet Machines

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Tue Sep 12 14:51:04 EDT 2000

One thing that I have seen from time-to-time with various security programs is
that they leave fragments of the browser application running in the background.
This may not be immediately obvious as all the browser windows are closed.
However, if a patron starts a "new" instance of the browser and it appears to
hang or freeze up, there is probably a conflict with the "background" copy.  In
Windows98 [if the security app. allows it], you can use CTRL-ALT-DELETE to see if
there are multiple instances of Netscape running.  Zapping the offending copy
returns things back to normal and allows the "new" sression to continue without a
problem.  I would bet that the security software is to blame.  Sorry I can't
offer a good solution to solve the issue!

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library
Waterford, MI