[WEB4LIB] Windows millennium edition (ME)

Richard Wiggins wiggins at mail.com
Mon Oct 30 16:20:11 EST 2000

Microsoft's company line has been that Windows ME is the new, modern version of Windows for home use, and Windows 2000 (one of the several variants) is the new, modern Win for business use.

Unfortunately that is cookie cutter advice, and one size does not fit all.  Just last Friday I had to basically prick my thumb and bleed on the invoice to convince the campus computer store sales clerk that I *really did* want to run Windows 2000 Professional at home and would take responsibility for my actions.  As far as she was concerned, it was impossible (if not illegal and immoral) to run Win 2000 at home.

So I wouldn't make a blanket assertion that Windows ME is right or wrong for home.  I'd look at the features and see if they are useful for what I want to do.  The video editing and home networking support may be useful to some people.  In fact if they get it right I expect the home networking pieces to be VERY popular.  There may be small businesses that benefit from ME and there may be home users that are better off with Win 98 or Win 2000.

The warning about DSL in the article Julie references doesn't seem as explicit as she implies, but a net search shows Pac Bell and other DSL providers warning lack of support for ME currently.  So if I had DSL or a cable modem I'd check with the provider before going to ME.

ZDnet has previously pointed out that many of the incremental features of ME can be obtained by starting with Win 98 SE and running Windows Update and downloading all the goodies.

Here's another cautionary piece on ME:

http://www10.nytimes.com/library/tech/00/07/circuits/articles/06pete.html

/rich