[WEB4LIB] Blocking all web browsing (only) at a terminal

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Thu Oct 26 13:35:29 EDT 2000

Charles,

There are a number of options to stop web-surfing - you'll have to pick how far you
want to go [and how savvy the staff is]

1) Disable access in Internet Explore - you can follow the instructions on my help
page and set the proxy to disallow access:
http://northville.lib.mi.us/tech/lockinie.htm
[but staff can "enable" this if they know how...]

2) If you have a firewall, use the firewall to block HTTP traffic to those
workstations.

3) Remove Internet Explorer from the workstations -- that is the most straight-away
solution.
Removing IE 3 [http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q154/0/12.asp]
Removing IE 4 [http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q174/2/65.ASP]
Removing IE 5 [http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q217/3/44.ASP]