[WEB4LIB] Re: customization is a double-edged sword

Chris Gray cpgray at library.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Oct 20 11:18:11 EDT 2000

Would all the people "in control" of the information have to be MLS
librarians?  Can the FBI get information from doctors' and lawyers'
secretaries and receptionists that they can't get from the doctors and
lawyers?

In the absence of legal protection, I think the big question that Eric asks
is "do our patrons know?"  If patrons are providing libraries with
information that the libraries are in no position to keep private in certain
circumstances, then there would seem to be an urgent need to ensure patron
awareness of this.

On another hand, if you frequent certain establishments and a private
detective follows you and notes your patterns of behavior, is the
information he collects private and privileged?  Perhaps people have to be
made aware that surfing to a Web site is as much a public act as walking
into a store.  The information highway is as public as the interstate.

Chris Gray
Library Systems
University of Waterloo