[WEB4LIB] Re: customization is a double-edged sword

GRAY, PAUL PAUL.GRAY at TCCD.NET
Fri Oct 20 11:06:22 EDT 2000

Well -
I'm not a librarian so I am probably talking out of school here.
I have worked with librarians for about 18 years, though. So as far as
increasing the respect given their profession - I'm for that 100%.

But, personally - I am not the least bit interested in protecting anyone who
sends out death threats (the example used in Eric's original post) or
otherwise violates the law.

In fact - we have a written policy -- which I hope the librarians maintain
and enforce --
that states that use of our machines in any manner which violates the law
will be dealt with accordingly.

Which I interpret to mean they will be turned in to the proper authorities.

Frankly - to me  - the danger of someone hiding behind the anonymity of a
public station to conduct illegal activity is a good argument --in favor--
of having patrons held identifiable and accountable.

Don't bother to flame me :-)
-- you won't change my opinion any more than I am likely to change yours.
Just felt a need to voice my opinion - which, after all, is REALLY what
freedom of speech is all about.

Paul H. Gray,Manager - Library LAN & CLC
TCC Northeast Campus Library
817-515-6623
"Those Williams boys they still mean a lot to me - - - Hank and Tennessee"