[WEB4LIB] E-books Brochure

Jerry Kuntz jkuntz at rcls.org
Thu Oct 19 08:49:39 EDT 2000

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but if your current or planned eBook
services involve dedicated reading devices, you should be aware of what
Gemstar (which bought Rocket and Softbook) has in mind:
http://www.ebooknet.com/story.jsp?id=3791
http://www.wired.com/news/print/0,1294,39471,00.html
These were recently noted on the ebooks-l list.
After reading these, I came round to the same conclusion that Roy Tennant
did in his 10/15/2000 Digital Libraries column (though for different
reasons).
The restrictions that Gemstar is designing into their new models demonstrate
both a callous disregard for existing customers and publishing partners and
a doomed, blinders-to-the-world, vision of this technology. If I didn't
actually own one of these devices (a Rocket eBook Pro), I'd be laughing at
the corporate stupidity being displayed.
Jerry Kuntz
Ramapo Catskill Library System
jkuntz at rcls.org