OED access off-campus

Barton Spencer jbspence at ocean.otr.usm.edu
Tue Oct 17 13:46:18 EDT 2000

Hi all,

Just a quick question - feel free to respond to me privately. (I will be
glad to send a compilation of responses if the list is interested.)

I would like to contact anyone out there who is currently providing
off-campus access to the Oxford English Dictionary online. In our
particular situation we use Squid proxy server for authenticating users,
and have had great success, except with OED. Even after being authenticated
our patrons hit a login screen at OED. I've been told by OED-related people
that we must enable a secure transaction (SSL) for the process to work, but
I find that very strange. (our IP range settings are correct, so that's not
the problem in this case)

Second opinions regarding that diagnosis would be most welcome. I'm at
barton.spencer at usm.edu.

Thanks!,

Barton Spencer
Head, Electronic Resources Dept.