[WEB4LIB] Re: print pop-up message generator

GRAY, PAUL PAUL.GRAY at TCCD.NET
Tue Oct 17 12:57:13 EDT 2000

The programs that actually displayed the page count to the user AT THE
DESKTOP were not cost-effective for our limited needs either.
We DID find a product - Printer Release Server - by Software Metrics ouit of
Ontario.
http://www.metrics.com

This product allows creation of a specialized port on the print server that
has control options built in.  You can set it to automatically hold all
print jobs - or set up rules that will determine what jobs are automatically
released or deleted.

It does require a 'release station' which we place at the circ desk.  The
patrons come to the desk and identify the station they were printing from
and ask for their printout.  The staff member then gets the page count
information from the release station - advises the patron of the # of pages
(and in our case - the cost) then - only if the patron still wants the
document is it released to the printer.

Also not a perfect solution but it DOES:
 prevent anything from being printed until the patron is actually at the
printer
 advise the patron the number of pages before he/she asks for it to be
printed

DISCLAIMER -
This is purely informational - it is not an endorsement or promotion of this
product.
etc. etc. etc.

Paul H. Gray,Manager - Library LAN & CLC
TCC Northeast Campus Library
817-515-6623
"Those Williams boys they still mean a lot to me - - - Hank and Tennessee"