[WEB4LIB] browser problem

TMGB bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Mon Oct 16 11:58:43 EDT 2000

Besides the already mentioned possible solutions, you may want to find a
program the allocates and releases memory better than win 3.1 does on
its own accord.  I seem to recall just before win 95 came out that there
was some news about the memory handling problems with win 3.1 and
"newer" programs.  Moremem, I believe was one of the better memory
handlers and you might be able to find it at one of the tucows sites,
zdnet, Cnet or other software download site.  Most of them are probably
30 day trials to be removed on your own responsibility.

GoldMemory - test your operating memory from DOS -
http://www.goldmemory.cz/

Links to software resources for Windows 3.1
C W Strouds is still good - http://cws.internet.com/16menu.html
Jumbo.com - http://www.jumbo.com/pages/utilities/windows/
http://win3.1.freeservers.com/

Thomas

LeAnn Weller wrote:

> I have a Gateway 2000 4DX2-66 with 32MB RAM and Windows 3.1 that will not
> run currently either Netscape or Internet Explorer.  Netscape Navigator
> 4.08 has run successfully on it in the past. I can install both
> browsers.  However, when I go to try to use either one I get a fatal
> execute error (sometimes in the same place; other times not.).  I installed
> a trial version of Opera and it will run probably 8-9 times out of
> 10.  Again when it doesn't run, I get a fatal execute error.  Any
> suggestions on what the problem might be.  I've uninstalled and
> re-installed the browser numerous time with using different copies of the
> install .exe file with no change.
>
> LeAnn Weller
> Technical Services & Systems
> Mabee Library
> Sterling College (Box 133)
> Broadway & Cooper
> P.O. Box 98
> Sterling, KS  67579
> lweller at sterling.edu
> 316-278-4235 (phone)
> 316-278-2775 (fax)

                      Rock and Rule
             Zope Rocks -- http://www.zope.org
           Python Rules  -- http://www.python.org
Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett      Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant III            University Library
bennettt at am.appstate.edu
http://www.library.appstate.edu/webmaster/
Voice:  828 262 6587	           FAX:    828 262 3001

Windows 95 is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit patch for an 8-bit
operating system that was originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor.
 - Chris Dunphy     Boot Magazine