[WEB4LIB] OFF TOPIC: Copyright Permission for Political Cartoons?

Mike Madin madin at academicinfo.net
Sat Oct 14 13:43:03 EDT 2000

Hi Garry & Web4Lib'ers,

I sent this to the entire list thinking others may be interested in these
resources. I will let someone more knowledgeable regarding Fair Use answer
your main question.

> [Political cartoon sources would also be Most Welcome!]

The best source for recent political cartoons I know of is Daryl Cagle's
Professional Cartoonists Index at http://cagle.slate.msn.com/ .

For historical subjects see:

Dr. Seuss Went to War:
A Catalog of Political Cartoons By Dr. Seuss
http://orpheus.ucsd.edu/speccoll/dspolitic/
400 political cartoons by Theodor Seuss Geisel penned from 1941-1943 in the
New York newspaper PM.
Mandeville Special Collections Library, University of California, San Diego

The Presidential Elections From 1860-1884
http://elections.harpweek.com/
"This Website has been compiled and prepared as a public service by
HarpWeek. It features cartoons from Harper's Weekly, especially by Thomas
Nast, and from Vanity Fair, Frank Leslie's Illustrated Weekly, Puck, and the
Library of Congress Collection of American Political Prints: 1766-1876."

Although not political cartoons, the following are additional sources of
historical visual images intended for a popular audience:

Beyond Face Value: Depictions of Slavery in Confederate Currency
http://www.lib.lsu.edu/cwc/BeyondFaceValue/index.htm
"This electronic exhibit focuses on the depictions of slaves in Confederate
currency. It is important to remember that these images were created by
those who institutionalized and worked to preserve slavery, and they do not
necessarily portray the slaves as they viewed themselves and their
condition...Images of slavery, however, were not the only illustrations on
such documents: Vignettes featuring modes of transportation, mythical
characters, historical figures of the American Revolution, and romantic
portrayals of white women and children also decorated paper money issued in
the Confederacy. These scenes offer a new perspective on the Civil War era
South."
A Project of the United States Civil War Center, Louisiana State University

Virginia Runaways Project
http://www.wise.virginia.edu/history/runaways/
"The Virginia Runaways Project is a digital database of runaway and captured
slave advertisements from 18th-century Virginia newspapers. When a slave ran
away, slaveowners often placed remarkably detailed advertisements for their
return. Sheriffs and other county officials also often advertised the
capture of runaways or suspected runaways. This project offers full
transcripts and images of all runaway and captured ads placed in Virginia
newspapers from 1736 to 1790."
By Thomas Costa, History Department, University of Virginia's College at
Wise

I copied these selections from Academic Info at http://www.academicinfo.net
..

Thanks for reading,