IE 5.5 and printing problems?

Randy Souther southerr at usfca.edu
Thu Oct 12 14:26:15 EDT 2000

Has anybody run into printing issues using IE 5.5?  I "upgraded" our
public workstations from IE 5 to 5.5 and shortly thereafter began having
an intermittant, but continual printing problem (networked HP printers):
a print job would come out with one line of garbage characters on a
blank page, and would continue printing page after page until the job
was cancelled, or the paper ran out. The problem happened often enough
to be a true headache for both patrons and staff, and seemed to be quite
random as far as happening on a certain workstation, or with a certain
web pages. I removed our security software for a day with no change.
Finally after a couple of weeks of tinkering, I "downgraded" everything
to IE 5, and we haven't had the problem since.

--
Randy Souther
Reference Technology Librarian

Email:  southerr at usfca.edu