[WEB4LIB] Re: counting use of resources

Pecaut, Mark J. PecautM at missouri.edu
Thu Oct 12 11:07:53 EDT 2000

You could also use http://greenspun.com/click/ and they will count the
clickthroughs for you.
This is run by Philip Greenspun.
-Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: Araby Greene
To: Multiple recipients of list
Sent: 10/12/00 9:00 AM
Subject: [WEB4LIB] Re: counting use of resources

If your web host allows ASP or CGI, you could use one of the following
solutions, without hacking a banner ad script or opening a window.

1. Redirect the URL to a small .asp file that contains no HTML,
increments a
count in an Access (or other database) or adds a row for a new URL. The
code, small, works great, and easily adaptable, is available from:
http://www.developersdomain.com/asp/articles/clickthru.htm
For each click you want to track, you have to modify the URL slightly to
go
to the ASP script first, then out to it's destination.

2. You can also use Perl/cgi to increment a count in a simple table. A
nice
script is available at
http://www.cgi-resources.com/Programs_and_Scripts/Perl/Logging_Accesses_
and_
Statistics/ and look for Click Count, ver 1.22.
This script is well thought out, and has been around a while.

Hope this helps.
Araby Greene

Araby Greene
Web Development Librarian