ProQuest newspaper problems (when is full-text NOT full-text)

Stacy Pober spober at manhattan.edu
Wed Oct 11 20:32:44 EDT 2000

I can understand that different sources might provide them with
different parts of their coverage for a title, but they provide
the title through a single interface and IMO the list should have
consolidated the sources so that the total coverage was listed.

But that's not the major problem, since most of the users are not
going to look at the title lists in any case.  They're more for
librarian and back office use.

The main problem is that when you use ProQuest's normal search
feature, you will not have a hotlink to a good portion of the
articles in full-text that ARE in the database.  I'm not talking
about Dear Abby or the comics, but news articles that UMI has
the rights to and provides users access to with their
"for publication" search.  Why have full-text that is only
available by date browsing but not by keyword searching?

It's not deliberate, it's a bug.  But the annoying thing for
me is that it's a bug that they have been alerted to half a
year ago, and they've taken no steps to fix it.

Stacy

spober at manhattan.edu
http://www.manhattan.edu/library/