[WEB4LIB] Re: Default search engine for IE Search Button

Greg Fleming gfleming at usc.edu
Fri Oct 6 15:11:25 EDT 2000

> >I want to change the default search engine for the IE 5 search button.  I
> >want to make it the Librarian's Index to the Internet (http://lii.org/).  It
> >is not listed as one the engines I can select in the list.  Is there a way
> >to edit the list or to just bypass the list?  We like LII because the sites
> >are evaluated and added by librarians (collection development).

	Microsoft has some pretty slick add-ons for IE 5, including one that lets
you customize your preferred search tools and access them from the
"File -> Open" menu or "CTRL O. You type a prefix and your
search terms and skip the the visit to the search engine page. "av foo
bar" launches a search in AltaVista for "foo bar" and takes you
directly to your results. I had to add Google ( and discovered that
"go" is reserved for MSN Search ) but it's fairly easy so adding LII
should be no trouble.
This tool is part of the Internet Explorer 5 Web Accessories but the Power
Tweaks and Developer Accessories are worth a try as well. All can be
downloaded from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/IE/WebAccess/default.asp

Greg Fleming
Doheny Research Services