[WEB4LIB] Free Search Script for NT Server?

Avi Rappoport avirr at LanMinds.Com
Sun Oct 1 18:48:49 EDT 2000

At 10:11 PM -0700 9/30/2000, David Merchant wrote:
>For web pages sitting on a NT server, is there a free search script
>that can be set up (not a general web search but one that searches
>the local site)?

Yes, IIS comes with Microsoft Index Server, but it's really a pain to
use and doesn't give very good results.

>  I'm presently using Ht/dig on a Unix server, but we may move to NT
>server and if so, Ht/dig will no longer work (says was designed for
>Unix only and so far have seen no info indicating that it also works
>on NT).

ht://Dig will work on CygWin (a Unix interface for Windows), but that
is kindof a hack.

Check out my site, particularly
<http://www.searchtools.com/tools/tools-win.html> for over 30 search
engines that run on Windows.  Some are free, some are cheap, and most
are better than Index Server.

Avi