[WEB4LIB] RE: Question Re: Re: Filter Stories

Bobb Menk bmenk at ll.mit.edu
Fri Oct 13 17:08:07 EDT 2000

(Hey it's 5:00 on a Friday where I am, so I'm offering these small
contributions to this discussion):

Take a look at http://www.fadetoblack.com then look in the "Stories"
section for a couple of parodies on the whole filtering problem. In an
incredibly even-handed approach they offer these two "products" ;>.

Quoting from the product descriptions we find:

"Introducing ‘Net Nymph’ the only software on the Internet that let’s
you view only pornography, without the annoyance, and nuisance of all
other useless information.....  Using a unique program code ‘Net Nymph’
will screen all the pages you try to access to predetermine if there is
anything of pornographic nature to be found. If ‘Net Nymph’ determines
that the information on the page is not related to pornography, it
blocks it out, not allowing you to have access."

and also:

"Net Moses is a filtering software designed especially for Born Again
Christians and Christian Fundamentalists.... Plus Net Moses has other
great features, like ‘Sabbath Encryption’. By keeping track of the date,
Net Moses prohibits you from using your computer on a Sabbath...."

Have a little laugh - you deserve one.

Bobb Menk