Filter Stories

Garwood, Steve sgarwood at camden.lib.nj.us
Fri Oct 13 14:43:27 EDT 2000

Hello All,

I'm working on a presentation that I'm doing at a conference in November and
was wondering if anyone had any good Internet Filter stories that they might
share. Basically I'm interested in "unique" anecdotes or perhaps "unique"
uses of Filters.

Some examples:
Anecdotes -
- For about a week after we installed filters here (I-Gear), there would be
random people with problems receiving their email. It was very odd as two
people could be sitting next to each other and one could read their Yahoo
mail and one couldn't. It wasn't till someone, let's say an employee, had
this problem that we figured out what the source was. The person who sent
him mail had used profanity in the message and the filter was blocking it.
(even another received mail from someone with a "profane" username)

- Of course, the Star report getting blocked was a pretty good one too.

- We had a gentleman who came to the library on many occasions who would
always tell us how happy he was that we used Filters on the computers. One
day I got into a conversation with him and he was telling me how great it
was that we used filters for the radiation coming from the computers. Being
a reference librarian I of course prodded him for more information...He
believed our "privacy screens" were the Filters that all of our signage was
talking about and believed his cancer risk was decreased as we were using
filters. If I remember correctly, I believe I didn't dissuade him from his
viewpoint.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

-------------------------------------
Steve Garwood
Customer Education Librarian
Camden County Library System
203 Laurel Rd., Voorhees, NJ 08043
(856)772-1636 x3320 Fax:(856)772-6128
sgarwood at camden.lib.nj.us
http://www.camden.lib.nj.us
http://www.stevegarwood.com

"It's better to regret something you did, then something you didn't do"  -
Red Hot Chili Peppers