[WEB4LIB]renamed to control over server

Isabel Danforth danforth at tiac.net
Fri Oct 13 06:26:17 EDT 2000

I think that that many academic libraries may have such control, but those
of us in smaller public libraries are at the mercy of various web hosting
sites and limited budgets.

I feel very lucky to have a great host that doesn't go down, and that we
can pay for more than just ftp or front page access to that site.  But we
are limited to the scripts that they provide, although i have telnet access
to a shell account and can run shell scripts from there and use crontab
freely.

Isabel

At 11:15 AM 10/12/2000 -0700, Thomas Dowling wrote:
>> And therein lies my real problem, perhaps.  It would be interesting to
>survey
>> Web4Lib and find out how many of us have complete control over our own
>servers,
>> how many of us rely on a central IT department which serves other
>masters, and
>> how many have outsourced servers with ISPs.  Anyone willing to take that
>one on?
>>

>Not I.  But one of the various manifestos I'm always on the verge of
>writing is "You're not doing real web mastering until..." where bullet
>points would include: you have complete read-access to the raw web server
>logs; you have permission to use your choice of CGI/PHP/SSI/ASP as long as
>it's supported on your server; you know in advance, and are invited to
>comment on, any changes to the server platform; and you can write a
>.htaccess file (or its equivalent on non-Apache servers), subject to
>reasonable security precautions.  If I didn't have all of those, I'd kick
>and scream until I got it.
>
>Thomas Dowling
>OhioLINK - Ohio Library and Information Network
>tdowling at ohiolink.edu

Isabel L. Danforth
danforth at tiac.net
Russell Library - Middletown, CT
http://www.lioninc.org/russell/
Coordinator of Librarians' Online Support Team
http://gnacademy.tzo.org/lost/