Embedding searches in links

Ed Veal EVeal at mail.ci.lubbock.tx.us
Tue Nov 28 16:44:41 EST 2000

Chris, Thanks a million. Thats seems to work fine. Ed

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Ed Veal
Lubbock City-County Library
Technical Services
email: eveal at mail.ci.lubbock.tx.us
voce: 806-775-2849
fax: 806-775-2827
http://library.ci.lubbock.tx.us
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

>>> "Chris King" <cking at asl.edu> 11/28/00 02:00PM >>>
Ed:

This was posted to SIRSI's listserv a while ago. I've tried it and it
seems to work.

Chris
Christopher King
Public Services Librarian, Appalachian School of Law
RR 5 Box 450, Grundy, VA 24614
(540) 935-6688 x314
cking at asl.edu
---
Robert,

We figured out how to to create a stable URL to a WebCat record.  This
is how
we generate the URLs:

    1.  Search for the item and select the bib display.
    2.  Click on the call number.
    3.  Click again on the call number for that item from the call
number
list.
    4.  Grab the URL from the resulting bib display.
    5.  Replace the two sets of 10-digit random numbers found after
'cgisirsi/' and before '/20' with '0/0'

-Kristin

Robert Cameron wrote:

> Please forgive the triple posting...
>
> This question has come up twice in the last two weeks so here goes:
>
> How can one (if one can) create a "URL" from a non-WebCat page
(i.e., and
> external web server page) which would send a specific search to
WebCat and
> either return the results or take the user to the hit list or record
in
> WebCat?  We are actually thinking of pre-defined searches (e.g., to
> specific new title) but a cgi web query page would be way groovy,
too.

> Has anyone done this?  Can I copy your source code and then bug you
> interminably until I get it to work here?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Robert
>
> Robert Cameron
> Systems Coordinator
> J. Edgar and Louise S. Monroe Library
> Loyola University New Orleans
> cameron at loyno.edu
> http://www.lib.loyno.edu
>
> The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud.
>                    -- Coco Chanel

Kristin Antelman
Head, Systems & Networking
Arizona Health Sciences Library
The University of Arizona
1501 N. Campbell Ave.                kaa at ahsl.arizona.edu
Tucson, AZ 85724-5079                (520) 626-1004