Mac to PC conversion software?

JQ Johnson jqj at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Fri Nov 24 08:56:36 EST 2000

There are at least 2 commercial products that allow a Windows PC to read a
Mac filesystem, typically on a removable disk such as a floppy or Zip disk.
They aren't as well known as they should be:  I'd say that if you have a PC
as a micro support station (e.g. a help desk or even a reference desk) it's
an almost essential utility.

I use MacDrive, http://www.media4.com, and love it.  I think MacOpener
http://www.dataviz.com/ has a somewhat larger market share.  As has been
noted, reading the filesystem is only half the battle; you still have to
convert file formats.  I've found that this is seldom a problem for me (MS
Word opens most word processing.  PSP opens most graphics.  Quicktime or
Windows Media Player open most a/v, etc.), but you might want to consider
DataVis Conversions Plus, which combines MacOpener with a suite of format
conversion utilities.

JQ Johnson                      Office: 115F Knight Library
Academic Education Coordinator  mailto:jqj at darkwing.uoregon.edu
1299 University of Oregon       phone: 1-541-346-1746; -3485 fax
Eugene, OR  97403-1299          http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~jqj/