[WEB4LIB] surveys

Gail Skiff gskiff at esls.lib.wi.us
Tue Nov 21 21:51:52 EST 2000

I attended the WiLSWorld conference this summer.  One of the speakers
discussed usability tests (see below).  Check out the following for the
presentation and a sample usability test form.

"Building User-Centered Library Web Sites on a Shoestring.
When it comes to designing library web sites, perpetual budget and
staff shortages require difficult trade-offs. But usability can still be a
central theme throughout the design and development process.
Jerilyn Veldof of the University of Minnesota Libraries presented a
session that covered user-centered design methods used in several
library web sites at the University of Minnesota and the University of
Arizona and the subsequent impact on the design of these sites."

Jerilyn's Keynote: http://www.wils.wisc.edu/events/ww2k/ww2kpres/veldof/

Go to WiLSWorld: http://www.wils.wisc.edu/events/ww2k/
and page down to "U of MN Usability Test" for sample.

At 02:34 PM 11/21/00 -0800, Ward Price wrote:

>We are redesigning our web site.  We'd like to conduct a survey of our
>users (primarily students) to find out what they like/don't like about our
>present site, what they use the web for, what they'd like to see in our
>site, etc.  I've been off the list for a while, but I searched the archives
>for "survey" and questionaire", and found nothing about user surveys for
>web sites.  Have any Web4Libers conducted a (web) survey about their web
>sites before?  Where should look for information?  Thanks.
>
>Ward Price
>C. Ward Price    wprice at panam.edu
> Instruction/Reference/Web Librarian
>  University of Texas-Pan American