[WEB4LIB] Re: Beyond Netscape 6

Tony Barry me at Tony-Barry.emu.id.au
Thu Nov 16 23:43:04 EST 2000

At 8:20 AM -0800 16/11/2000, John Moore wrote:
>The page looks completely different in Netscape 6 and IE 5.5 for me,
>yet N 6.0 is supposed to be standards compliant.

Just because things are standards compliant does not mean they will
render a page identically. Font availability, screen size, color
values all differ at the very least. The value of CSS is that it
gives a standard way of saying how the author/publisher would like a
page to appear. The software, running on the hardware, mediated by
what the reader wants done, produces a result.

Tony
--
phone  +61 2 6241 7659
mailto:me at Tony-Barry.emu.id.au

On Aboriginal Policy
"And if governments will not act, then this is a matter on which
people must act to secure a government that will.The dignity and
self esteem of Australia at some point will demand it."

Malcolm Fraser 24 Aug 2000