[WEB4LIB] Re: Netscape 6

Tony Barry me at Tony-Barry.emu.id.au
Thu Nov 16 23:33:48 EST 2000

At 6:35 AM -0800 16/11/2000, Matthew M. Benzing wrote:
>Appearance is not optional; you cannot separate form from content.

Of course you can and that's what the standard does.You don't control
the appearance, the end user does by their choices. They choose -

	The hardware
	The operating system
	The browser
	Whether to display color or monochrome
	The color depth of the display
	The pixel height and width of the window they view your page
	Whether to use your choice of fonts or their own
	The size that fonts will display
	Whether to use your stylesheet or their own
	Whether to display images or not.

By my  choice of browser I choose not to have tables, scripting,
colors, images, variations in font and font size or sounds, in my
initial viewing of a page. If I can't get any useful information from
the page I know the author/publisher is clueless and its not worth
going any further. If I see that there may be useful features which
require more capability I open it in a fully featured browser. I save
a LOT of time this way.

Tony
--
phone  +61 2 6241 7659
mailto:me at Tony-Barry.emu.id.au

On Aboriginal Policy
"And if governments will not act, then this is a matter on which
people must act to secure a government that will.The dignity and
self esteem of Australia at some point will demand it."

Malcolm Fraser 24 Aug 2000