Next Year's E-Tools

Karen G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Thu Nov 16 11:35:31 EST 2000

For my January column in American Libraries, I'd like to ring in the New
Year by sharing Your Favorite Stuff with the library world.

What are your favorite Internet-based tools or services?  If you were
stranded on a desert island (...with a high-bandwidth wireless Internet
connection, a computing device, and at least one wireless network card),
what would you bring (or access over the web)? For example, do you have an
FTP software program that you think of as ol' reliable?  Has your cable
modem made life wonderful? Is there an ASP service you adore?  A graphics
program you use for website development that has made your heart go
pitter-pat? Is your ISP the bee's knees?  Or what WOULD be your favorite
gizmo if you could afford it?  (E.g., I spend a lot of time drooling over
the wireless modem now available for the Handspring Visor--but I know people
who have that level of affection for Notepad, too.)  It could even be a
library service--for example, if you can access 300 databases in your
birthday suit, or you can renew books online, and that means something to
you, chime in.  Be sure to explain WHY whatever-it-is is so great.

You can also list things that don't exist, or are still in development, or
out of reach for some reason or another... (Napster for OPACs?)

Mopping my keyboard and looking forward to your input--needed by next
Tuesday, November 21, 6 p.m. EST... please email me personally at
kgs at bluehighways.com .

Karen G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Assistant Director for Technology
Shenendehowa Public Library, NY