[WEB4LIB] Re: Netscape 6 is out

David Merchant merchant at LATECH.EDU
Wed Nov 15 09:59:07 EST 2000

>Design to an html standard not to a browser.

Except not all browsers follow html standards, and I really don't know of
one that follows every single html standard. And then there are the defacto
standards that aren't html standard but which most browsers will
accept.  If we are coding for the widest audience possible, including
underdeveloped nations, then we need to design with browser differences in
mind.   And, even with html standards, each browser, each browser version
(including the different platform types), can interpret the html standards
differently.  We see that all the time ("this looks great on my Mac but
like crap on my PC!" or "All the text shows up in the textbox on my PC, but
people have to scroll to see it on my Mac and they don't realize there is
more to read!").  We have to code with different browsers in mind.

When creating a word document, I have to keep in mind there are lower
version numbers out there that may not be able to read mine made in the
latest-greatest(?) version and so need to save it as a lower version to
make it accessible by the largest possible numbers of  users.  The web is
worst than that and will remain so for quite some time.  Unless you don't
care about the minority of users coming in with older browsers (and
sometimes that minority is a large minority), then code for html standards,
or code for just one or two main browsers.  The harsh reality of coding for
the wide and general public is that you will have to keep different
browsers in mind when coding, that the web is a more fluid environment,
always in flux, a moving target.  Because of that we dearly wish for one
browser, one standard, one way of coding to make our lives easier.  But
that, unfortunately, is a mirage.

TTFN,
David
Head, Systems Dept, Louisiana Tech University
merchant at latech.edu
JavaScript List Administrator (www.mountaindragon.com/javascript/)
Webmaster, HTML Encyclopedia (www.mountaindragon.com/html/)
Memorial Day Page: www.mountaindragon.com/memorial/