[WEB4LIB] Designing Websites for Children

Jerry Kuntz jkuntz at rcls.org
Wed Nov 15 07:14:50 EST 2000

As a side product of managing the KidsClick! service
(http://www.kidsclick.org/), I can rattle off some pet peeves:
--Overuse of plug-ins (Shockwave, Flash), which aren't accessible to many
users.
--Any use of pdf. Please don't expect kids to learn Acrobat
controls--assuming they have Acrobat! I only mention this after seeing this
from several government and non-profit sites who have done this as a cheap
way to put already-developed print content for kids on the web quickly.
--Overuse of slow-loading graphics
--Sites that don't use any graphics or offer any breaks in the upper-left to
lower-right single column layout
--Sites that intend to be informational, yet through placement and
prominence of links lead users to distractions. If you offer games, do they
support or digress from the point of your site?
--Sites offering objective, editorially reviewed information that also
include banner ads (which immediately undermine the objectivity of the
content).
--Sites that move users into a locked or kiosk browser windows
--Sites requiring registration or fee-based content
--Children's sites on free web hosts that immediately open pop-up windows
designed for adult users
--Sites that include photos of children with their names, or mention of
children by full name and residence.
--Overuse of entry pages
--Overuse of cartoons (mea culpa!).
--Web rings
--Most sites for children's memorabilia and collectibles: toys, dolls,
comics, old TV shows, cards, etc. It doesn't take long to realize that the
obvious mercenary motives of collectors and paraphernalia dealers pretty
much kill the nostalgia value of childhood memories and the motivation of
any kid to cultivate a collecting hobby.
--The labels "Kids Corner" or "Kids Page"
--Coloring pages to print out

Jerry Kuntz
Ramapo Catskill Library System
jkuntz at rcls.org