Netscape 6 is out

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Tue Nov 14 18:57:10 EST 2000

I've been playing around with Netscape 6 today and it's been far less buggy
than the PR releases that I worked with.  Having said that, it's not perfect
and I've encountered several things that haven't worked.  I'm not 100%
thrilled with the interface [although I like the new version of the "modern"
look] and I'm still trying to figure out who thought it made sense to remove
the home button from the toolbar [at least they had enough sense to put the
print button back on].  Still, it's nice to see something new from Netscape
although I have a feeling that once I'm ready to deploy it, I'll probably go
with the Mozilla version.

In terms of locking down Netscape using some of the methods we've used for
4.x, this is what I've found so far.

1.  It doesn't seem to recognize setting up a "false" proxy to limit access
to web databases.  I'm guessing this is a bug that needs to be fixed.

2.  I haven't had any luck finding a "central" preferences file, like
prefs.js.  I want to be able to control the preferences [history file also -
if such a thing exists].

3.  It may be very possible to set up a "customized" interface where access
to buttons and menus can be disabled HOWEVER - it looks like the way to
accomplish this is by creating a new theme and using that theme as the
default interface to the browser.  This doesn't look like an impossible task
but not an easy one either.  Maybe someone in the library world will set up
a theme that limits access to the buttons and menus.

4.  No apparent support for "kiosk" and "superkiosk" modes.

5.  You can open new windows in "kiosk" modes using javascript and
indicating what toolbars, etc. should appear.  I've even been able to open
windows that duplicate a kiosk window.  The only problem is I haven't
figured out how to get the javascript to close the original window just
leaving the "kiosk" window.  This worked in 4.x but not in 6.

them] -- locking down the browser may take more extensive work -- it may be
possible to create themes that create a patron-proof browser -- a lot of
potential but more issues to work through.

I appreciate any insights that anyone can provide on taming this new lizard

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library
Waterford, MI