[WEB4LIB] Re: Web Server Backups

Dobbs, Aaron DobbsA at apsu.edu
Mon Nov 6 10:40:10 EST 2000

Another easy way to back up the data (without the need for powering
down or reboots) is to simply copy the relevant files needed (the whole
web site directory) to a different machine (or the other drive or tape or
zip drive, etc)

In your situation I would have the one drive as the production drive
and the second drive as an exact (backup) copy:
	do not make an image
	"sys" the second drive (makes it bootable)
	setup dual boot on the machine (Win2K install can do this for you)
	make sure the boot.ini file contains the correct path to the
		systemroot (winnt) folder
	reinstall *everything* a second time
	make sure you have iis installed in the second drive and setup the
		same as the production drive
	boot to the production drive
	copy the Web (where "Web" is the folder where the pages reside) to
		the second drive
	have a regular schedule for copying the production Web to the Web
		on the second drive
Only problem is this requires a one time "downing" of the server.

Gosh, an even easier way would be to create a mirror set with the two
physical drives (assuming they are of similar size) then you'd already have
an automatic copy of everything on the production drive.  So, when the
production drive dies just boot to the mirror drive & you're off & running
again.
(wish I'd thought of this one first, it would have saved a lot of typing)

-Aaron
:-)'
"It is easy to be blinded to the essential uselessness of computers by the
sense of accomplishment you get from getting them to work at all."
- Douglas Adams