[WEB4LIB] Re: Full-Text/Online periodicals access database

Tony Barry me at Tony-Barry.emu.id.au
Fri Nov 3 18:46:03 EST 2000

At 7:58 AM -0800 3/11/2000, Eric Tull wrote:
>  We are looking at ways that we can pull these journals out of
>the catalogue and move them into a database and/or various web pages in a way
>that these resources could be updated on a frequent basis from the catalogue.
>That way the work of maintaining the e-journals could stay with cataloguing
>where it has always been, but we could have the advantages of delivering them
>from a web-based database and our web pages.

One method is to tag the electronic journals in some way where they
can be selected and exported to an external database on a regular
basis. Depending on the ILMS you might give them a a unique gmd or
subject heading extension (eg - electronic journal)

Another way, if the ILMS provides static and repeatable URLs to
specific items (Innopac does for instance), would be to create a
separate database which links to the bibliographical record in a
separate frame. That way all the information which does not fit
comfortably in the rigidity of a MARC record can be maintained
outside the ILMS and all the bibliographical information maintained
within the ILMS.

Tony
--
---
phone  +61 2 6241 7659

On Aboriginal Policy
"And if governments will not act, then this is a matter on which
people must act to secure a government that will.The dignity and
self esteem of Australia at some point will demand it."

Malcolm Fraser 24 Aug 2000