Student use of library web services - was: Library web site organization

Tony Barry me at Tony-Barry.emu.id.au
Thu Nov 2 06:57:45 EST 2000

At 10:42 AM -0800 1/11/2000, Andrew K. Pace wrote:
>A lot of us have created browsable subjects for electronic
>resources, now we are talking about creating them for our web
>pages...have we forgotten the catalog?  Isn't there a chance here
>for a technical apologia for LCSH?  The online catalog made our
>holdings
>infinitely more searchable, it made

I'm picking up anecdotal comment from teaching academics (from two
universities) that, much to their chagrin, their students are
ignoring ALL library services and relying on the big internet search
engines for research.

Has anybody see anything written on this or have comments?

I've also got general comments the library subject gateways to the
web are being ignored for the same reason.

Tony
--
---
phone  +61 2 6241 7659

On Aboriginal Policy
"And if governments will not act, then this is a matter on which
people must act to secure a government that will.The dignity and
self esteem of Australia at some point will demand it."

Malcolm Fraser 24 Aug 2000