[WEB4LIB] Re: Library web site organization

Andrew I. Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Wed Nov 1 13:43:28 EST 2000

Julie,

I think you are seeing a number of libraries go this route with
specialized "portal" pages designed for specific settings - for example,
in-house Internet workstations.  At our library, the home page for the
Adult Internet workstations highlight links to search engines, online
e-mail and local online news sources as well as library-oriented
informtion.  [http://www.waterford.lib.mi.us/lportal.htm]

Why?

Because even casual observation of patron Internet use showed that these
were the resources they would go to - if we didn't provide the link on the
home page, they would bypass it and find their own way to it.

We also realized that our library home page was not the appropriate page
for these workstations because of the different audience that would be
accessing that site -- someone visiting the library home page is generally
conciously looking for information that is library-oriented and is
accessing this information from outside the library.  Not so for our
in-house users.  That's why we needed to create a special page just for
them.

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library