[WEB4LIB] Library web site organization

Swanson, Troy Swanson at moraine.cc.il.us
Wed Nov 1 10:29:26 EST 2000

Tim,

If I am reading your question correclty, this is a question I tackled this
summer as we (Moraine Valley Community College Library, Palos Hills,
Illinois) worked on our new website.  The issue is really information
architecture.  We can learn how to use html but this doesn't mean we know
how to lay out a site of multiple html pages.  The basic rule that I found
helpful is that a website is what it does, not what it is called.  In a
library we have developed our jargon but this jargon doesn't translate well
on the web.  When we laid out our site, we grouped pages together by
function.  This makes the most sense to library users via the web.  When we
delt with our listing (index) of subject specific sites (all listed under
the research section of the site) we took a more tradition library science
approach (defined subjects, cross referenced, etc, similar to LII).  As for
your question about your multi-format database, you could always link it up
in multiple places on the site, so that users wouldn't have to visit one
exact page to find it.

(I am sorry that our site is in testing now and is not available on the web.
But one site that comes to mind is the Georgia State University Libary site
at: http://wwwlib.gsu.edu/default.asp.  It is a fairly good example.)

I am not sure if you are familiar with the book "Information Architecture
for the World Wide Web" by Louis Rosenfeld and Peter Morville (one or both
of whom hold the MLS).  Anyway, I found it very helpful.

I hope that this helps

Troy