FW: [WEB4LIB] Library web site organization

Gimon, Charles A CAGimon at mpls.lib.mn.us
Wed Nov 1 10:02:24 EST 2000

The major issue that I'm trying to overcome here is that we have three major
blocks of users for our web pages:

--Library staff
--users at our public workstations
--general public users coming from outside the Library

but we force all three groups to use the same website, even though they have
different needs and expectations.

Most librarians here still haven't absorbed the idea that the general public
use our website too--they view our web pages as a tool for them to use on
the job, nothing more.  The coming solution for this is going to be an
Intranet that will be designed around the needs of librarians on the job, so
that our public pages can concentrate on the needs of the public. Librarians
are happy, public's happy, hopefully it's a win-win situation.

--Charles Gimon
  Minneapolis Public Library