[WEB4LIB] Chat Rooms and MOOs for *Scholarly* Communication

GraceAnne A. DeCandido ladyhawk at well.com
Wed Nov 22 10:16:56 EST 2000

I am not absolutely certain of this, but you might try _Hamlet
on the Holodeck: The Future of Narrative in Cyberspace_ by
Janet Murray, MIT paperback of a few years agol She talks
a lot about MUDs and MOOs, and might include scholarly
communication. GraceAnne DeCandido, sig file way below

On 21 Nov 00, cyberangels brought a missive from Gerry Mckiernan:

>    In April 1999, I submitted the posting below on _Chat
>    Rooms and MOOs for *Scholarly* Communication_ to various
>    e-lists. I have re-done both ERIC and Library Literature
>    searches in both databases and have yet to identify a
>    relevant citations on the topic(s).
>
>    Are MyWebColleagues aware of *any* literature on the
>    topics or examples of the use of Chat Rooms and/or MOOs
>    (or MUDs) by scholars?
>
>    As Always, Any and All contributions, queries, questions,
>    comments, cosmic insights are Most Welcome!
>
>    Happy Turkey to All!
>
> /Gerry McKiernan
> MUDdy Librarian
> Iowa State University
> Ames IA 50011
>
> gerrymck at iastate.edu
>
>        "How Can There be a Winner When The're Both Losers"
>
>                             *****************************
>
>    I am interest in identifying any and all studies,
>    reports,
> articles, books, etc. that describe/evaluate the use and/or
> value of Chat Rooms and/or MOOs in Scholarly Communication.
> I have searched ERIC and Library Literature but do not find
> citations to the use of Chat Rooms and/or MOOS among
> scholars as an adjunct to e-mail or e-conferences (e.g.,
> listservs) as additional forms of  electronic scholarly
> communication. [I *do* find citations to their use in
> education]
>
>    Thanks!
>
> /Gerry McKiernan
> Theoretical Librarian
> Iowa State University
> Ames IA 50011
>
> gerrymck at iastate.edu
>
>   "The Best Way to Predict the Future is to Invent It!"
>                               Alan Kay

GraceAnne A. DeCandido
Blue Roses Consulting ~ Writing ~ Editorial ~ Web Content ~ New York City ~
ladyhawk at well.com http://www.well.com/user/ladyhawk/gadhome.html
What's Ladyhawk reading now?
http://www.well.com/user/ladyhawk/books.html

Sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose.