[WEB4LIB] re: capturing web pages for offline use

Bailey, Katrina kbailey at UMHB.edu
Mon May 22 16:02:38 EDT 2000

So far, I haven't found a better way to do dynamically-generated-page demos
(such as from a database) than a screen capture/powerpoint presentation.
Teleport didn't work well at all for those (although it is great for static
web pages). Someone recommended "Catch The Web", but I haven't evaluated it
yet.

The downsides of screen captures/powerpoint? Huge files, requires very
methodical composition (if you want to scroll down a page and back up,
that's at least 3 captures), no obvious interactivity (can't type in your
searches). Upside - it's easy to do.

I guess the problem is "web page" doesn't just mean "static html residing in
one place on a server" anymore. Most our students wouldn't give a talking
frog for a demo about web sites and web pages. They want to know which
databases we have, how to use them, how to print, how to email, how to find
the full-text... and it's hard to download a page that doesn't exist (I have
to give this speech to our students who try to print EBSCO pages without
going through their print set up - .asp pages don't save).

If someone has better ideas about this, I'm all ears...:-)

Katrina Bailey
Serials/Online Services Librarian
University of Mary Hardin-Baylor
kbailey at umhb.edu <mailto:kbailey at umhb.edu>