[WEB4LIB] How to describe a site?

Bailey, Katrina kbailey at UMHB.edu
Thu May 11 16:42:15 EDT 2000

Depends on how limited you are in indexing. Would you prefer title or
subject access? If you're using a home-grown database, such as for a small
non-funded library, you might have just one access point (far-fetched, but
possible). For example, you have a book called "Pop goes the Weasel" , a
biography of Andy Warhol (no, I made it up). How effective is the title as
an access point? Well, is your client going to ask for "Pop goes the Weasel"
or books about Andy Warhol? There's your answer.

Makes you appreciate how finely tuned AACR2, OCLC, and related
systems/methodologies really are. :-)

Katrina Bailey
Serials/Online Services Librarian
University of Mary Hardin-Baylor