[WEB4LIB] Vendacards for printing

Bob Jones bjones at unf.edu
Wed May 10 18:53:36 EDT 2000

On Wed, 10 May 2000, Diane Madrigal wrote:

> We're looking into setting up a vendacard system to charge for printing and are currently talking to two vendors, Copico and Imagemax.
>
> I know from previous Web4Lib discussions that several other libraries have set up similar systems, but I didn't find much in the archives about these specific vendors.  If anyone has dealt with either Copico or ImageMax, we'd really like to hear about your experiences - good or bad.  Please reply directly to me at dmadriga at mail.nysed.gov; if there's interest, I'll summarize for the list.  Thanks!
>
> Diane Madrigal
> New York State Library

Withoout accusing either of these companies and without going into
specifics, I offer the following advice for procedure:

1.  Check who owns the company and all the sister companies "doing
business as". Are there any complaints against these sibling companies or
the corporate entity?  Any lawsuits?  Licensed to do business in your
state?

2. Does the intended company have its own "checkbook" authority, or are
all financial transactions handled by the parent company?  Check the
financials.

3. Are the officers of the local company actually employees of the parent
company?  Be wary.

4. Check with other sites using this company.  Is control local or
micromanaged by the parent company?  Are supply shipments timely?  Have
any suppliers lodged complaints to the library for lack of payment by the
vendor?  Are supplies warehoused locally?

5. Make sure that the contractual language protects you against liability
for unpaid bills should the contract terminate early (or vendor
disappears). Make sure that contractual language concerning refunds for
unused value on cards is clear and enforceable.

6. Requiring a bond may be appropriate, at least until trust is
established.

Bottom line.  Some companies get in legal or financial trouble, dissapear,
and then re-emerge under a new name.  Beware!  Good luck!

Bob Jones                                    mailto:bjones at unf.edu
Head, Public Services Division and Systems Coordinator
Manager, Library Auxiliary
University of North Florida Library          http://www.unf.edu/library/
P.O. Box 17605                               (904) 620-2552 (SC 861-2552)
Jacksonville, FL  32245-7605                 FAX: (904) 620-2719
                                             ARIEL: 139.62.208.88