How to turn off print button in IE 5

Robert Sullivan SCP_SULLI at sals.edu
Wed May 10 17:12:43 EDT 2000

>> anyone turned off (or grayed out) the print button in IE 4 or 5?

>http://www.jsiinc.com/TIP1900/rh1976.htm lists a way to turn it off but it
>seems to imply that by turning off the button you also turn off the
>file|print menu item. You'll need to test it.

It does say that, but in my experience that was not true (that it also turned
off the menu item).  Of course, there were a whole lot of things in that
document and the original MS Knowledge Base file which didn't work as
advertised.  (Some of us speculate that's why MS pulled it.)

<creak of rocking chair>
Back in the old days,
</creak>

we used to get rid of the button in IE 4 by installing Windows Messaging
(without installing e-mail) to push it off the (640 x 480) screen.  No need to
do that in IE 5 (probably wouldn't work on 800 x 600 anyway).  As someone said,
you may turn it off when customizing the toolbar.  AFAIK, you can't block
access to the Customize option without extra software, so it's not foolproof.
OTOH, we're not trying to prevent printing, merely redirecting it through the
menu option which allows them to choose "print selection" etc.

Bob Sullivan                               scp_sulli at sals.edu
Schenectady County Public Library (NY)     http://www.scpl.org