[WEB4LIB] Weblication & Future Publication

Eric Hellman eric at openly.com
Fri May 5 14:22:45 EDT 2000

The answer is discipline-specific. In physics, many journals have
explicit policies permitting submission to e-print archives. This
builds on a tradition in physics of circulating pre-prints.

In chemistry, the concept of a pre-print is considered odd.

In medicine, many journals have explicit policies prohibiting the
practice of e-print archiving.

Copyright law has not really dealt with issues about what constitutes
"publication". The current disputes in the music industry will set
important precedents. A lawyer will advise caution.

Eric

Eric Hellman
Openly Informatics, Inc.
http://www.openly.com/           21st Century Information Infrastructure