Google Tricks

Tara Calishain calumet at Mindspring.com
Tue May 16 12:49:34 EDT 2000

Gentle People,

I don't often post things from ResearchBuzz on the list because there's a
weekly
newsletter for those interested. But there are so many Google fans here that I
thought you'd care to know of a couple cool Google tricks I wrote up this
morning.

Best,

Tara
ResearchBuzz.com

==

* Instantly Invoke Old Pages With Google Cache Syntax

Want to look at an old version of a page? Want to know the last
time Google crawled a page? You can invoke a cache of a page in
Google's database by using the cache syntax. Try this query:

cache:www.yahoo.com/

And you'll get the cached version of Yahoo's home page that's in
Google's index and a note about the last time the page was indexed.
(Don't forget the trailing slash at the end. This trick doesn't
seem to work well without a trailing slash or file name at the
end.) Kind of interesting. Thanks GP!

* Google Keeps Sneaking In New Features

Google has implemented a couple cool things you might want to know
about. First is a filtering system; learn more about it at
http://www.google.com/safesearch_help.html . It appears from
reading this page that this filter blocks only "pornography and
explicit sexual content" (as opposed to hate speech, information on
drugs and alcohol, etc.)

Second thing: maps from addresses in Google. Try entering

1600 pennsylvania avenue washington dc

As a query. The first link you'll get is a link to a Yahoo or
MapBlast map of that address. I don't know if it works with other
countries.