"Catalog" was Naming of...appliances

Elizabeth McKenty lislemck at netscape.net
Thu Mar 30 14:15:10 EST 2000

We have labeled the toolbar button for the DRA Web2 implementation on our site
"Catalog", which seems to really work for patrons. We tend to refer to it
among staff as the "web catalog" as we still use terminals/terminal emulation
to access circulation (Circle) and the old patron interface (Gateway). IT
staff members seem to refer to it as DRA Web2, but that is utterly meaningless
to the rest of the planet.

I remember being completely puzzled by the term OPAC when I started library
school circa 1988. I don't think it ever really made it into the language
outside the profession.

Regards,

Elizabeth McKenty
The Office of Public Services Support