[WEB4LIB] Web proxy alternative option and question

Stephen Treger stephen.treger at sdsu.edu
Thu Mar 30 13:34:32 EST 2000

At 09:52 AM 3/30/00 -0800, Dale Poulter wrote:
>Good morning,
>
>         We recently read an article in Dr. Dobbs Journal ( Feb 2000
>pp86-96, the code is available at
>http://www.ddj.com/ftp/2000/2000_02/) about a free software package,
>webrelay, developed by Peter Zhang.  According to the article this
>package will allow libraries to provide easy access to online
>articles to distance students without using a proxy server.  The
>package sounds great, but it was written in c (not my strong point)
>for AIX.
>
>         Has anyone attempted to port this package to Solaris?  Thanks.

I recommend you look at EzProxy from UsefulUtilities.
A custom compile for Solaris is available, or run the pre-compiled binaries
for Windows or Linux. Don't let words proxy in its name fool you.

This package met our requirements of not requiring any client side changes
to the browser. Any browser that accepts cookies (for the session) works.
It dynamically rewrites the URLS of requested sites that are in a
configuration file.

We are authenticating directly off our III patron database, which meets our
license agreements and allows for "distance learning".

Stephen Treger, OS Analyst		| Phone:    619 594-5859
Malcolm A. Love Library, SDSU		| Fax:      619 594-8982
WWW http://fezzik.sdsu.edu		| mailto:treger at sdsu.edu
Yahoo! Pager ID s_treger		| ICQ # 4725463
Online Calendar http://calendar.yahoo.com/public/s_treger