Naming of Library [computer] appliances (OPAC or not)

Robert Sullivan SCP_SULLI at sals.edu
Thu Mar 30 09:55:01 EST 2000

>> What I am wanting from you is to know what do you call
>> your OPACs (the
>> device that accesses your library databases)

>How about BOB. It's nice and short, and a palindrome so the
>borrowers will soon get to know it backwards!

I like that one...it sounds so reassuring and helpful. :-)

When we we installed our CD-ROM catalogs, our administration decided they
should be called computer catalogs.  We're also in the process of moving to
Web2, so I hope we can call them just catalogs.  They will have access to much
more, but patrons are used to calling them that.

Many users call everything a terminal, whether it's a full-service Internet PC
or an old VT220.  Maybe we should just say The Computer...

Bob Sullivan                               scp_sulli at sals.edu
Schenectady County Public Library (NY)     http://www.scpl.org